Monday, October 27, 2014

Get A Hobby! You Never Know Where It Will Lead....

"Get a hobby!" were the words my husband said to me a few years ago after seeing me spend every waking moment since our son's diagnosis reading and researching autism.
He actually added the proviso "that has NOTHING to do with autism". It was a wake up call. I had become one-dimensional and obsessed and it had happened quite quickly. Maybe it's something to do with my personality, that I do tend to throw myself into things, but, it was a fact nonetheless and if my husband had noticed it, surely others had too.

My first new 'hobby' was ice-skating. After growing up watching Torvill and Dean, I loved the idea of learning to ice-skate. Since we live in Colorado Springs, the home of US Figure Skating and, ironically, also the home of Christopher Dean these days, we have 6 ice rinks in town, as well as a seasonal one for the holidays, I signed up for some lessons with a friend. I could ice skate badly as a kid, but hadn't been anywhere near skates for years, since I tore a knee ligament roller-blading.
It was fun to learn a new skill, but more importantly, it was good for me to try something new, that wasn't even remotely related to autism. This was for me. I did a few courses of lessons, so that now I can say that I've done a spin (poorly, but who's scoring?). My husband also took a course to learn how to skate, which I think was great for him too. We also through the course of this discovered that a therapeutic ice-skating program existed in town and we signed our son up too. Ice-skating turned into a whole family activity and now our son plays ice hockey on a local team - and loves it.
It was a great lesson for us though, to try new things and see where they led us!

The next hobby started as an interest a few years ago, when I saw a friend wearing a pendant at an autism conference. It was a fused glass puzzle piece and sparkled and caught the light - it was really pretty. I discovered there was an art glass store here in town and it also offered classes! I signed up and was instantly hooked. I also did a stained glass class and took on the big challenge of making the stained glass design for our front door.
Aspens!
It has become so much more than a rewarding hobby. It's also turned into a little business.

I met other crafters in town and we formed a Facebook group to sell locally, year-round. I also started doing local craft fairs and opened an Etsy store.
Inspired by the pendant I saw on my friend, I also started making some autism awareness items and love how they turned out. I've done custom orders for friends and also donate a portion of the sale to an autism non-profit. It's a way of giving back, raising awareness, but also supporting my own sanity in one go!
Puzzle piece pendants

So, whilst your child will undoubtedly (and absolutely should) be your number one priority, you mustn't forget yourself in the whirlwind of parenting a special needs child. Your child (and your spouse if you have one) needs a happy, balanced parent. Whether it's going to the gym, making things, painting things, horse-riding or gardening, it's important to have things just for you. It will help with your sense of self and keep your confidence higher. Whilst we all live for our children, we cannot live solely for them.
If you've spent so long absorbed in autism you're not even sure what you enjoy anymore, try something new! Take a class or join a friend who might have a hobby you think sounds interesting. Try and do something that both gets you out of your home, with other people and also takes you away from your computer and autism. You'll feel better and be happier, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment