Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Why Can't The Autism Community Either Get Along, or Just Agree To Disagree?

I posted this originally on our family blog in May 2012, but, the issue still irritates me. 
The autism community is as divided as ever. Even us as parents judge those who want 'recovery' or don't. There is no 'right' choice, there is only your choice. But, when someone actually does something and that something helps kids function better, or keeps them safer, or brings some awareness to the possibility that children with autism can, maybe, recover, that should be celebrated in my opinion. 


I saw this posted today on someone's FB page and quite frankly it made my blood boil.
Apparently, a mother is less than impressed with Jenny McCarthy's decision to pose for Playboy again.
I was at AutismOne last week and was there for her keynote speech, where she explained her rationale, it being, her son needs some very expensive educational interventions and the rest is going to Generation Rescue. I commend her for this. So what if she is somewhat of an attention-seeker? At least she uses her celebrity to try and make a difference. No-one has to do anything. John Travolta sure as hell didn't do a god damned thing for autism, or ultimately his own son. That to me is the tragedy.

The mum in this blog post says "Because while posing for Playboy may, in fact, garner a truckload of money for your organization, Generation Rescue, it’s not going to do a damn thing for my two kids with autism". I wonder if this mother has any idea what Generation Rescue does with their money. They have a huge family grant program that this mother has the option of applying for, if she would like. Has she ever used their website? Has she ever called a Rescue Angel, a volunteer parent who can support a family?

Also, why does this particular person have it in her head that it's Jenny McCarthy's job to do something for her children? Love her or hate her aside, it is not her responsibility to take care of other people's children. That's our job as parents.

The autism community is fractured enough. Obviously, from the rest of her rants this particular mum is not on the biomed side of the fence, and that's fine, we all make our own choices on what we feel is best for our children, but, I for one, and many of my friends have seen enormous benefits from biomed.
It's not quackery.
There are many studies highlighting immune differences in children with ASD. To me, to ignore that science is the quackery, bury-your-head-in-the-sand attitude. Biomed isn't easy, but it can pay off. All children are different. Some respond, some don't.

Also, to question recovery is stupid. Recovery to me means that a child firstly no longer meets diagnostic criteria for autism. Even the NIH I believe has figures that say that a certain percentage of children 'recover' from their diagnosis. The whole world is a spectrum, both typical and ASD and recovery to me means that a child moves onto the typical spectrum. Even 'typical' children can have problems, but they don't impact their daily living to the point of ASD impairment. No-one in the biomed field (including JM) uses the term 'Cure', it's 'Recovery'.

The comments are also utter crap. Here's where you get the whole 'I've not gone down this road, not done any research and I accept my child will not recover' band jumping on the wagon. If you people want to accept this outcome for your children, go right ahead and enjoy. I will not accept that and I will not discount other approaches for my son who continues to thrive. I take a skeptical viewpoint on many of the new 'crazes' that will always be around, as I believe my previous posts have shown. But, I am not closed-minded. I am not anti-vaccine, even though I choose not to further vaccinate my son, since neither I or his doctor feel it's appropriate for him. I don't feel my son should be the sacrificial lamb for one commenter who feels everyone should take that vaccination risk to protect her.

People need to realize they are in control of their child's future, just as Jenny McCarthy is in control of hers. And it's about time people stopped with the bashing. Mind your own business people and focus on your own life, rather than the fact that someone else out there has a better body, more appeal and more drive than you or I will likely ever have.

1 comment:

  1. 1) When we first started on this journey, I got loads of advice from both ends of the field, "stay away from anything Jenny McCarthy".... "You have to go GFCF". It was all kind of overwhelming at first, and I was skeptical about all the bio med aspects of treatment. I guess I just decided that I didn't want to leave any stone left un-turned. I adore my kid, and I want him to have the fullest life he can have.
    2) I've read "Louder than Words" and loved it. I could identify with all of her emotions, and thought it was very honest.
    3) If I had her body I'd be stripping down for Playboy, too, if it meant I could help my kid. Actually, I think it's pretty dang awesome that she did that. But even if she didn't have an autistic son or an awesome foundation, I have no right to judge women who take their clothes off for money. Her body, her choice. Live and let live, people.

    ReplyDelete